Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Trying something new

First off I want to say HECK YES!

Now everyone might be a little confused as to why I would say that. Well let me put it this way. My name's Mike and I'm the coder behind this website. Eric came up with the site idea I coded it. Well I was having a H3ll of a time blocking bots from posting.

You all never saw the bot posts but they were there... always posting. Se the way the site is set up is that when you submit a story it gets stored in a temporary MySQL data bank. I would then have to go through, read the stories and transfer them from that temp database to the good database. With the 50+ bot posts a week, it was enough to drive anyone insane. So much so that between that and my grandparents untimely deaths this past August I just gave up on the site. When I came back about 3 months after I had stopped cleaning that temp database it had over 1000 bot posts in it. I cleared it all out and we are starting fresh with reCAPTCHA enabled (something I had fought with months ago and never gotten to work). Hopefully this will cut down on or eliminate the bots that are posting to the site.

Anyways now that I explained that let me also say that this is the first of something new, hence the Title: "Trying something new". At Eric's request... (One of his easier requests) we have decided to go through and add a blog onto our site. We will be posting to this blog atleast once a week starting today to keep you all up to date with current thoughts, and possible "to come" things for the site. Hopefully this will make it more enjoyable for all of you out there.

Well I think I have rambled on long enough, so farewell for now.

~Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment